08/20/2018 | featured
Recap for a Healthier 2018
Recap for a Healthier 2018
- Weigh To Go! Weigh yourself either daily or weekly and before you eat, drink or get active. Consistency will track true progress.
- Don’t SKIP Breakfast! – Curb afternoon hunger by front loading your diet with a great breakfast. Mom was right it’s the best meal of the day!
- Say Hello to H2O – Eight, 8 ounce glasses of water per day is the minimum water needed to keep hydrated. Count non-caffeine drinks like herbal tea as part of the number or add a slice of citrus to break the boredom of water.
- Bag it and Go! - Pre-wash veggie snacks and bag them for an “easy to grab” snack. The easier you make it the more apt you are to choose a healthy snack over something sweet or salty.
- Front Load Fiber – Digesting fiber burns fat so front load the day with a healthy choice of fibre. According to the American Heart Association, people who consume 30 grams of fiber a day lost weight and improved their heart health.
- Grocery List Must Haves – Here are three “guilt free” ingredients for healthier eating. Balsamic vinegar (great flavour), in-shell nuts (healthy fibre snack) and fat-free plain Greek yogurt (great protein and creamy richness). Add them to your weekly shopping list!
- Enjoy Yourself! – Next night out cut calories in half by drinking water in between servings of alcohol. Make it festive, request sparkling water in a highball or martini glass topped off with a slice of lemon or lime!
- Dessert – yes or no? Don't beat yourself up about a dessert! It takes 3,500 calories to gain a pound of body fat. A treat doesn’t hurt, it’s what you do the next day and the day after that's important. So, enjoy a special dessert but get back on track the following day!
- Find a Fitness Friend – A workout or walking buddy is hugely helpful to keep motivated. If you can’t find a human walking partner, try the four-legged kind. A dog will be devoted company and you’ll enjoy the canine expressions of gratitude!
- Dance! Dance! Dance! - Make a playlist of your favorite "cut a rug" tunes then turn up the volume! For even more fun, invite some gal pals over and get grooving (and laughing). You’ll each burn about 200 to 600 calories per hour.
- Keep it MOVING! – If the gym is not for you keep moving with everyday activities. Try these suggestions.
- Clean the house in work out wear and sneakers – bend and stretch as you go!
- Work in the garden or mow the grass. Rake leaves, prune, dig and pick up trash.
- Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both! Start with 5-10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.
- Walk or bike to the corner store instead of driving.
- When walking, pick up the pace, when watching TV, sit up instead of lying on the sofa, stretch during commercials and throw away your remote control.
- Stand up while talking on the telephone.
- Walk the dog instead of sending him to do his thing in the back yard.
- Park farther away from a store and walk the extra distance. Wear your walking shoes and take an extra lap or two around the mall.
- Stretch to reach items in high places and squat to look at items at floor level.
Click here to download your printable version